Sunday, April 19, 2009

U5 First Game

Today's game was a lot of fun. Our more experienced players, Nate, Owen, Kaleb and Camden showed some amazing teamwork today and managed some beautiful goals because of it. Kaleb had two of those goals and they both looked easy thanks to good passes from Nate. Among our newer players Kendra, Maddie and McKenzie all showed great enthusiasm. One thing I like to impress on the kids is that soccer isn't a game where you have to wait to take a turn. When the game is on you go get the ball. So, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I always ask them just before kick-off "whose ball is it" and the right answer is "mine". At the very start of the game today I asked the question to the kids I had on the field and all of them but McKenzie knew what I expected them to say. When I tried to explain to McKenzie that in soccer "it's always your ball and you just have to go get it" she walked up to the center spot, picked up the ball and brought it back to me. I think she'll get the idea quickly.
Our youngest players, Karolyn and Luke aren't getting the idea yet but every minute on the field is part of the process. They'll get it.
See you Tuesday night at 6:30 for practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment