Wednesday, April 15, 2009

First Practice

U5
Practice was a bit chaotic at times but thanks to a lot of help from my wife Chris we were able to keep things moving. The goal in our practices will be simple. You'll see us do simple drills that look like a game of kick ball over and over again to work on the kids' kicking technique and get them used to running into the ball. I know it gets boring to watch but it's the one drill the kids all get and they really do benefit from the repetition. When I can I'll add in some dribbling and settling practice. And we'll run a lot.
First Game Sunday at 1:00 PM. See you there.

U9
This is a great group of kids with a lot of energy. During practices we'll mostly work on endurance with a lot of running. The remainder of the time I'll try to focus more on game IQ than on the particulars of ball handling technique. That is, I'll be spending most of the time trying to teach them to understand the field and their positions on it so that they can effectively work together as a team. I ran them a lot this first practice but they all seemed to have more than enough energy left. So next time we'll run more.
First Game Sunday at 3:00 PM. See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment