Monday, February 16, 2015

Legends players can be strong in ways you wouldn't expect.

     Yesterday I filled in for Coach Gibson as his U8 boys took on a T&C team that seemed to have been hand selected for their birth dates.  Big kids.
     I was really thrilled with how our boys just went at them with no regard for their size.  I saw some really excellent efforts to play skillfully from every player.  Just little flashes but they're on the right path and all the minutes of experience they get, even in games like this will add up eventually.
     Late in the first half I had Johnny Yeager on the bench with me and I was enjoying his running commentary on the game.  While listening to Johnny I apparently missed an incident on the field where our player Ian got hit by the ball.  The referee came toward the bench and said "coach, you might want to get number four off...he got hit...you know...and he's looking a little green."  I waved for Ian to come off and by the way he was sort of bent over as he ran I had a pretty good idea where he got hit.
    He seemed okay once he caught his breath and I joked with him a bit, saying "you're not gonna throw up in here on the bench are you?  Cause if you are I'm getting out of here."  He grinned and said, no, he'd be alright.
     Johnny took my joke a bit more seriously though.  "I was sick last week" he said.  "And I felt one time like I was gonna throw up.  It got up to here."  At that point he touched his hand to his adam's apple.  "And then I just pushed it back down."  Totally deadpan.  Just a sort of wide-eyed  yep-that's-how-I did-it look on his face.
     "So you were gonna throw up but you swallowed it back down?"
     "Yeah" he replied.  Ian was right behind Johnny and he's looking at me with an expression that says "oooh, no, what?"
     "You sir, are a man!" I say.
     "Yes" he says then he turns his attention back to the game.  Outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment