Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sharks Bonus Game! Scrimmaging with Sam E. and Austin.

     The U8 Sharks had a great opportunity to play against a very skilled team in an impromptu Saturday afternoon scrimmage and I was very happy to see the quality of play from the team.  We faced Benson FC which features Sam Eppley and Austin Seng, former Sharks, a team that is very deep in terms of skill and playing with a lot of discipline.  With some of the current Sharks absent we picked up a few players for this friendly match and they were a great help.  The Louden brothers, Finn (5) and Owen (7) helped out and Owen was fantastic in at keeper, as always.  Andrew Willis of coach Lighthall's black team came out too and he was showing some great drive and some good skill.  He and Wyatt teamed up for our only goal and it was a beauty.  After a nice touch from Andrew from the corner Wyatt turned the ball in to the goal and nutmegged the keeper.
     Benson FC played with a lot of skill on display, especially Sam, who continues to amaze.  Just ridiculous talent.  I actually feel the Sharks did well to hold them to only eight or so goals as that team has so many powerful shooters.  By the end the Sharks were starting to wear out and to collapse into a defensive wall in front of the goal.  Instinctive but ineffective.  Overall though there were plenty of moments of good skill work and the teams' attitude was upbeat throughout.  They all seemed glad to get to play, even against such a tough opponent.
     I have to single out Lillian for her performance in keeper.  I wasn't sure I should let her go in there given how hard Sam and his teammates were bringing their shots.  I said to Lillian, you know these guys are hitting it really hard and I'm worried that if you aren't watching the ball you might get hit.  "I'm used to that" she said.  "I've been hit in the face a bunch of times."  Well, okay then.  So in she went and she played beautifully, aggressively going to the ball.  I'll work with her on her punting to round off that part of her game and she will make for a very good keeper I think.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment